I’m currently listening to the audiobook of Mackenzi Lee’s The Gentleman’s Guide to Vice and Virtue on Scribd, and it’s amazing. The narrator is perfect for Monty, and I love that I’m falling in love with the novel all over again. Click here to read my full review, but it’s basically the story of best friends Monty and Percy, two teenagers taking a grand tour of Europe in the 1700s. Things are somewhat complicated, however, as Monty is in love with Percy, and Percy doesn’t know it yet. If you are looking for a very exciting and sweet young adult historical fiction with a twist of romance, please read this one! It’s so good!
Links & Things
- There are too many articles on self-care to count, but this one from The Blissful Mind caught my eye. Instead of focusing on advice like breathing in certain essential oils or taking time for bubble baths, this article gives better advice such as creating boundaries, practicing self-discipline, and being consistent.
- I found this article about sexual assault from The Rumpus, which is an essay about a student being sexually assaulted by one of her professors in 1989. There’s a particular focus on what she was wearing, which is still a topic that comes up during discussions of rape and assault, which is infuriating. I never understood the “argument” that a woman can be blamed for being assaulted because of her outfit; it’s unfair when 100% of the blame should be on the person doing the assault. I don’t care if someone walks outside in their underwear, it’s never an invitation.
- I still haven’t seen Captain Marvel in theatres, but I love this outfit guide from College Fashion inspired by the film. All of these outfits are super cute.
- This essay from Tor.com introduced me to a science-fiction writer I had never heard of – Vonda N. McIntyre. The book focused on in the essay, Fireflood and Other Stories sounds amazing, and I’m definitely going to be trying to get my hands on it. The article also made me realize that so many of the science fiction and fantasy books I read are from the last decade or so. I think I need to start searching long before that to discover new-to-me authors.
- While it’s definitely not healthy, this baked pizza pasta recipe is wonderful. When I made it with my boyfriend, we added Italian sausage and green peppers, and it was so delicious that we both went back for seconds. It also makes great leftovers!
Here are the ten Kindle deals I’m most excited about today!
- King of Ashes by Raymond E. Feist
- Mary Poppins Quartet by P.L. Travers
- A Good Scent from a Strange Mountain by Robert Olen Butler
- Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson
- 84K by Claire North
- Bread and Wine: A Love Letter to Life Around the Table with Recipes by Shauna Niequist
- The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion
- The Secret Diary of Hendrik Groen by Hendrik Groen
- The Friend by Teresa Driscoll
- Leonard: My Fifty-Year Friendship with a Remarkable Man by William Shatner
Quote of the Day