It’s amazing the difference that a clean house can have on your overall mood. While I was sick, I didn’t have the energy to clean. Yesterday, however, my boyfriend and I worked together to get the cleaning done, and I’m impressed at how much lighter I feel overall. I guess I hadn’t realized how much our clutter was stressing me out. While I won’t be Marie Kondo-ing anything soon, it’s definitely nice to have a place for everything.
Links & Things
- Electric Lit examines the decline in author income, and society’s wanting art of all kinds for free. It always shocks me how little money most authors make – when I was a kid dreaming of being a famous author, I assumed if you published a book you could live off of that money until you write your next one. That certainly isn’t the case.
- Book Riot analyzed how much you would have to read to get caught up with all of George R.R. Martin’s books in his Game of Thrones series before season 8 of the television show comes out. It’s ambitious, but go for it!
- Book Riot also has an interview with Charlie Jane Anders. I recently purchased her first book, All the Birds in the Sky, which I’m hopefully going to be able to read soon. Her new novel, The City in the Middle of the Night sounds like it’s going to be amazing.
- I was vegan for pretty much all of my twenties, and as a result I have absolutely no idea how to cook meat. I still eat mostly vegan when I’m cooking for myself simply because it’s what I’m used to. This is the first year that my boyfriend and I have been together during St. Patrick’s day, and he really wanted some corned beef, so I’m going to be attempting this recipe today. Wish me luck – I have no idea what I’m doing.
- Over at Read It Forward, Julie Bogart writes about her lifelong love for libraries. I understand that love so much – some of my earliest memories were of my local or school libraries.
- A River in Darkness: One Man’s Escape from North Korea by Masaji Ishikawa
- Out of the Gobi: My Story of China and America by Weijian Shan
- Undaunted: Surviving Jonestown, Summoning Courage, and Fighting Back by Jackie Speier
- Angela’s Ashes by Frank McCourt
- Love Warrior by Glennon Doyle
- Leonard: My Fifty-Year Friendship with a Remarkable Man by William Shatner
- King of Ashes by Raymond E. Feist
- Every Single Secret by Emily Carpenter
- Fawkes by Nadine Brandes
- The Wicker King by K. Ancrum