Yesterday I took a long drive down to the town where I grew up. It’s probably been close to two years since the last time I was there, despite the fact that I currently live just 45 minutes away.
Part of the reason it took me so long was that I have such a mix of memories, not all of them good.
I grew up on an island, and it’s scenic and beautiful. Over half of the island is a wildlife refuge. For that reason alone I’m glad I went back today. I’d almost forgotten how pretty the landscape is.
At the same time though, when I was a teenager and living there, my entire life was made up of thinking of ways to get far, far away from that place. I felt trapped there. Eventually, I escaped to Asheville, NC, where I made a life for myself until moving back to the coast a couple of years ago.
The island will always be special for me simply for the fact that it’s where I lived with my mother and it’s where she’s buried. I enjoyed the nostalgia I felt while I was down there today, and marveled at how little it’s changed in the time I’ve been away.
If you haven’t been to your hometown lately, think about making a trip, even if all of your memories aren’t perfect. Nostalgia can be a wonderful thing.
Around the Web
- Jennifer at The Bibliophile has a great roundup of literary board games. These all look like a lot of fun!
- Bustle published a look back at the depression and anxiety memoir Prozac Nation, and how it influenced public discussions of mental illness.
- The New York Times has a round-up of children’s books with deep meanings.
- I had absolutely no idea that Where the Wild Things Are author Maurice Sendak was also a set designer!
- Researchers are making a dictionary for a Korea that doesn’t exist yet, via Vice News.
Things I Love
On the Blog
- Mystery Blogger Award
- Milk and Honey by Rupi Kaur – A Review
- April 30 – International Jazz Day
- New Releases for the Week of April 30, 2019
- April 2019 Wrap-up
- May 2019 Plans & TBR
- Tori: Friday Favorites
- Why Freedom of the Press is Vital
- May the Fourth Be With You – Star Wars Stuff for Star Wars Day