In Case You Missed It On the Blog
- The Great Gatsby: A Graphic Novel by K. Woodman-Maynard – A Review
In the Book World
- C.L. Polk‘s upcoming fantasy novel The Midnight Bargain sounds intriguing. I’ve never read anything by her, but this story of magic, politics, and love caught my attention, and I’ll definitely be reading it upon its release in October. Fortunately, Tor.com has released an excerpt as well as a choose your own adventure minigame to satiate you until release day!
- The Harris County Public Library has outdone itself with this amazing commercial for the Barbara Bush Library featuring Curbside Larry. Trust me – you’ll want to watch this.
- Hayden Vernon’s experiment with writing an ebook to see if he could make money from it was fascinating. He writes about it over at Vice, and if you’re the kind of person who one day dreams of self-publishing (like I do), then it’s a must-read.
Mental Health & Wellness
- How to wake yourself up when that early-morning fatigue is real (Well + Good): I recently went from a work schedule where I clocked in at 12:30 to one where I now have to be logged in at 8am. It’s been years since I’ve had to wake up so early, and it’s been a struggle. This is some good advice if you need to make the transition too.
- Set an alarm for “connection time” with your kids and pets (Lifehacker): With so much going on in our lives, it’s hard to set aside time to build relationships with our loved ones. I like this idea of scheduling in a certain amount of time each day to spend with your loved ones. If you feel like you still don’t have time to do that, check out Celeste Headlee’s book Do Nothing.
Things I’m Drooling Over
- Literally, every house showcased on what has quickly become my favorite blog, Old House Dreams. I’ve always dreamed of living in an older house because they have so much more character and interesting concepts. My four favorites so far have been this 1887 Stick Victorian, 1902 home in Kansas, 1935 Tudor Revival, and 1881 Queen Anne.